Another One Bites the Dust – a Bad Year for Tigers
It looks like we can scratch another species off the endangered species list. A man in China was convicted this week for killing and eating the last known wild Indochinese Tiger.It started out innocent enough. The man was digging for clams. With a gun. Something about self-defense. Then four friends came over for dinner.
Kang Wannian of Mengla in the Yunnan Province of China was sentenced to 12 years in prison and fined $70,000. His dinner guests each got three to four years jail time for “covering up and concealing criminal gains.” Think of that next time Mom invites you over for dinner.
And so it goes. I hope people don’t hold this guy Kang responsible for the demise of this species. He didn’t spend the last couple of hundred years single-handedly poaching these animals for their bones (Chinese medicine is weird) and pelts or just for sport. He didn’t chop down their forests to develop tract housing and mini-malls.
He just performed the inevitable final act. He put the story to rest. He shifted the species from one list to another. Which brings us to…
The “Extinct” List:
- Tasmanian Tiger (aka Tasmanian Wolf) – 1936
- Bali Tiger – 1937
- Caspian Tiger (aka Persian Tiger) – 1950
- Javan Tiger – 1976
- Indochinese Tiger – 2009 (unofficial)
The “Endangered” List:
- White Tiger (all species)
- Siberian (Amur) Tiger
- Malayan Tiger
- South China Tiger
- Royal Bengal Tiger
- Sumatran Tiger
- Tiger Woods
Reference my earlier blogs…
- Return of the B-Sides? The music industry is very interested in the recent movement to return to vinyl turntable records. Bootlegging is infinitely more difficult than merely downloading MP3 files. The lost art of...
- Practical Pre-Nup (Part One) My SnarlyBoodle.com colleague Broadus has been married five times, I believe, and I'm not so sure he's finished. He's a man set in his ways, and it seems to me...
- The National Do Not Call Registry Scam This scam is insidious, and is promoted and facilitated by the federal government. Unfortunately for those of us who already registered our phone numbers on the National Do Not Call...
- A New Year’s Resolution Roundup Part Two Last week, I found I had such a great selection of New Year Resolution blog posts, that I was unable to narrow it down to a list short enough to...
- The List Maker I'm called The List Maker for a reason. I literally make a list for almost every aspect of my life. It's something I started doing full time when I entered...
- Earth Week/PBS Wrap-up In honor of Earth Week and Earth Day last week, PBS aired a lot of informative, interesting and well-put-together documentaries. Here's what moved me. Food, Inc. (POV) - I already...